MA Fashion: Design is an intensive, contemporary and personalised postgraduate programme that develops an individual approach to fashion and a strong design direction. With unique industry opportunities including internships with our partner Hearst Magazines UK, you will develop the professional skills, confidence and creative focus necessary to launch your career as a new designer.
This programme offers outstanding specialist tuition combined with extensive academic contact and studio access. As a Master’s student you benefit from:
- Studying in a fashion school led by an award-winning contemporary designer and Creative Director.
- Exclusive access to media and industry expertise, workshops and internships through our partners including fashion media innovator Hearst Magazines UK, publisher of titles including Harper’s Bazaar, ELLE and Esquire.
- Expert tuition from industry-active professionals with a passion for teaching.
- Intensive learning experience tailored to your needs and ambitions, with high level of personalised support and 1:1 tutorial time.
- Opportunities for work placements or industry mentoring as part of the course.
- A postgraduate qualification you need to stand out, and get ahead.
- Collaborating with a creative, inter-disciplinary and global postgraduate community.
- Your own iMac, mannequin and studio work space, open every day of the week.
- Access to regular Life Drawing in our dedicated drawing studio.
- A small, supportive and specialist creative arts college in a beautiful, historic and cultural city—a creative hotspot and home to one of the UK’s most dynamic and international student communities.
This course is awarded by Falmouth University.
What to Expect
In your first semester you will be set a series of briefs designed to stimulate your creativity and help you develop the ingenuity and resilience that professional creative practice requires. You will begin to outline a self-directed project proposal, which will ultimately develop into your Independent Major Project.
You will continue to develop your own creative practice, whilst addressing how artists and designers need to be engaged in forging the future of their respective fields. You will be given a chance to explore your ideas with students on other MA courses, and will also have the opportunity of a work placement.
During this semester, all your attentions turn to the research, development and production of your Independent Major Project. The year ends with an exhibition showcase of your projects, celebrating the end of an intensive period of creative, conceptual, critical and professional development.
1 year (3 semesters)
Fashion designer, Retail buyer, Retail manager, Retail merchandiser, Stylist, Textile designer, Visual merchandiser.
Specialist tutor support available 5 days a week.
Students have access to our studios 7 days a week, from 10am to 8pm, Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm at weekends.
How your Work is Assessed
Visual and written assignments and projects.
Visiting Lecturers, drawn from a variety of relevant industry contexts, will deliver a series of presentations which help you to situate your own hopes and ambitions for the future.
20 years +
Successful completion of an Undergraduate Degree in an art & design or related subject or professional relevant experience. Students who do not meet these entry requirements will still be considered on their own individual potential to succeed.
English Level for International Students
IELTS 6.5+ (no element under 5.5)
Portfolio and personal statement required
Please submit a short statement (300-400 words), telling us about yourself, your previous experience and your approach to creative practice. Please include:
- Reasons for applying to our MA course.
- Experience and skills. What were you doing before?
- Your approach to art/design practice. What inspires, informs and influences what you do—and why?
- Your goals. What do you hope to get out of the MA?
Your long-term ambitions. How do you think postgraduate study will help you develop a career in the creative industries?
For more information about the course download the programme specification