Art & Design Summer School
The Art and Design Summer School ideal for students aged between 15 and 18 who are potentially interested in undertaking further studies in Art and Design, or who would like to further their skills and knowledge of the subject.
- Intensive classes with professional artists (30 hours per week)
- Evening social activities included
- 1 full day excursion included per week
- No English lessons included - international students will require a good level of English.
English Language level: IELTS 3.0+
Course length: 1 to 6 weeks - you choose how long you would like to stay
Lessons per week: 30 hours of art classes, plus optional excursions and evening activities
Entry dates: July, August
Fees: £980 per week (Summer 2013)
This course is designed to provide students with a broad working knowledge of a range of specialist disciplines within art and design. It is ideal for students serious about pursuing further studies or a career in art and design. With direction from professional artists, classes are intensive and students are encouraged to produce a high standard of work in a different specialist area each week.
International students should have at least an intermediate level of English and can choose to combine their specialist weeks with separate weeks of Intensive English.
For 2014 there will be three options available:
Offering an introduction to fashion design and illustration. Experiment with:
- mixed-media techniques
- fabric manipulation and draping
- garment manufacture
- free machine embroidery
- hand stitching
As a project you will customise a white T-shirt using textiles techniques, fabric dyes, paints and trimmings.
Start dates: 06 July, 13 July, 20 July, 27 July
You will also use Cambridge as your inspiration to create an image portfolio. You will learn how to use different cameras and settings for best effect.
- During the digital photography component you will learn to manipulate and print digital images on a computer before printing electronically.
- During the film photography component you will learn all about taking and developing your own photographs from initial concept to printed image, including wet process to develop film in black and white and colour in the darkroom.
If you have your own digital SLR or traditional Film SLR camera, please bring it with you.
Start dates: 06 July, 13 July, 20 July, 27 July, 03 August, 10 August
This programme will introduce students to a wide range of materials, techniques and artists. Offering a broad introduction to art in three dimensions, each week will be different but, if taken as a six-week programme can provide a head start to future study in 3D Art & Design.
- Week 1 - 06 July: Painting - learn to use a variety of media such as watercolour, acrylic, oils and pastels, using Cambridge as inspiration.
- Week 2 - 13 July: Sculpture - Create an individual piece of sculpture through experimentation with materials and ideas.
- Week 3 - 20 July: Drawing - Learn to draw from life, still life, objects, models and outside in different media, using shade, perspective and line.
- Week 4 - 27 July: Jewellery -Create contemporary jewellery using a range of techniques and materials.
- Week 5 - 03 August: Printmaking - Learn to use different techniques such as monoprinting and etching, using the environment as a starting point.
- Week 6 - 10 August: Interior Design - Learn core skills and techniques such as measurement, drawing, modelmaking and working with light, colour, atmosphere and special effects.